Many have asked me to share what I personally have been doing to keep myself healthy and protected given the current threat of COVID-19.
In addition to eating a whole foods organic diet with an emphasis on vegetables, keeping my stress levels as low as possible (via meditation, mindfulness, yoga, prayer, gratitude practice, etc.), moving/exercising every day for at least half an hour, getting a minimum of 7 hours of sleep each night, washing my hands, wearing a mask in public, and staying connected to friends, family and community, here are the immune supports that I have chosen for myself and would recommend for you.
Prevention: These supplements are directed towards increasing immune function and are available in our offices and also on-line via Fullscript, our online supplement dispensary.
- Glutathione: Safe Cell and Readisorb are the brands I take daily. Glutathione is the body’s master antioxidant and our immune systems don’t function well without adequate amounts of it. If you do not have any known genetic glutathione deficits you could consider taking Safecell 1-2 caps or Readisorb 1 tsp daily in the AM. If you have glutathione polymorphisms or low glutathione levels, you will need more than this – check with your doctor for appropriate dosing.
- Vitamin C: has roles in several aspects of immunity, including the growth and function of immune cells and antibody production and it helps to boost glutathione levels. Any form of Vitamin C is OK. Adults and kids > 9y should take 1000mg 2x/day. Kids 4-8y should take 500 mg 1-2x/day. For kids 2-4y 250mg 1-2x/day.
- Zinc: is important for a healthy immune response and acts as an anti-inflammatory. It turns out that zinc may be THE mineral that is needed for our cells to stop this virus from taking over. Make sure your body has enough zinc on board to use if you get sick. Adult doses range from 15-25 mg daily. Kids’ doses vary by age and weight so check with us.
- Vitamin D: blood levels should be in the optimal range (somewhere between 45-65 ng/mL). Most adults need between 2000-5000IU vit D3 daily to achieve that. Children’s dosing is more nuanced so check with us if you’re unsure.
- Probiotics/Prebiotics: since the gut is where about 70% of the immune system is, keeping our GI tracts healthy makes good sense at this time. I’ve been taking Megasporebiotic 1 capsule twice a day and eating plenty of vegetables with prebiotic fibers to support my belly bugs. I’m also a huge fan of prebiotic supplements like Trufiber and Biotagen.
- Briotech: after I’ve been in public (with a mask on, of course, and vigilant about social distancing), I’ve developed the habit of spraying my face, nose and the back of my throat with Briotech, a stable hydroclorous solution which mimics what is produced by white blood cells. We have spray bottles available at GetzWell for those who are interested in trying this antimicrobial product that mimics mother nature and is used in many dental and integrative medical offices.
Treatment: If you or a loved one develops respiratory/viral symptoms, fever, headache, fatigue, or GI symptoms I recommend you immediately start the following.
- V Clear: by Integrative Therapeutics 4x the normal dose 4x/day (eg. for adults, the cherry-flavored syrup 20ml 4x/day). When V Clear is on back-order, Umcka is a good substitute.
- Vitamin C: increase your daily dose of Vitamin C by 3x (eg. if you were taking 1000mg/day then increase to 1000mg 3x/day, or if you were taking 1000mg 3x/d then increase to 3000mg 3x/day (watch for loose stools).
- Glutathione: double the prevention dose of glutathione by adding a second, noon dose (eg. if you were taking Safecell 2 pill in the AM increase to 2 pills in the AM and 2 pills at noon).
- Zinc: consider doubling your zinc dosing by taking it twice daily for the first 3-5 days of an illness.
- Briotech: continue to do nasal washes 2-3 times a day and spritz the back of the throat, also.
Here’s what the Institute for Functional Medicine has found evidence for: a non-pharma anti-COVID-19 strategy.