There is no denying that breast is best when it comes to infant nutrition. Not all mothers are able to nurse their babies, but at GetzWell we are committed to supporting all mothers who wish to successfully breastfeed their infants. In fact, almost two-thirds of new mothers run into problems breastfeeding. Our physicians and pediatric nurse practitioners work with you to address all of your breastfeeding questions.
The Benefits of Breastfeeding
As an integrative practice, we advocate breastfeeding for the myriad benefits it provides to your child. Breastfeeding gives your child a positive start to:
- Cognitive development
- Immune system health
- Gut health
- Bonding between you and your child
Our lactation expertise allow us to guide you to successful breastfeeding so that your baby can enjoy all of its benefits.
New moms can encounter many problems when attempting to breastfeed. Many women experience lactation problems with:
- Cracked or inverted nipples that prevent your baby from getting the nourishment he needs
- Thrush, a fungal infection that causes pain, itchiness, and burning
- Latch problems that can cause you and your baby discomfort and interfere with baby’s feeding
- Blocked milk ducts that may be painful and may prevent your baby from getting all the milk you are making
- Mastitis that represents an infection resulting in breast redness, a hard lump, fever and chills
- Insufficient milk production that prevents good weight gain in your baby
GetzWell Pediatrics has experience helping new moms in San Francisco solve these problems and go on to successfully breastfeed their babies.
Proper Nutrition for Breastfeeding
One aspect of breastfeeding that can be overlooked is breast milk’s ability to transfer unwanted toxins to our children. To mitigate these affects, we recommend that you:
- Reduce the use of plastics and avoid perfumed personal care products
- Choose responsibly grown organic and local food
- Minimize canned foods that contain BPA, a known hormone disruptor
- Reduce consumption of meats and dairy, particularly from conventionally raised animals
These guidelines will ensure that your baby is getting the best possible nutrition from your breast milk while minimizing the toxic load.
Open Access Membership
Our open access membership provides our patients with additional benefits such as:
- 24/7 access to one of our physicians for emergency care
- Visits that last four times longer than most pediatric appointments
- The time to develop enduring relationships with the families in our practice
- The option to choose to non-pharma treatments
GetzWell Pediatrics has consistently received top-ranking in San Francisco as 2014’s top-ranked pediatrician and Silver Pick for 2015’s Parents Pick.