6 Newborn Care Tips For San Francisco Parents
Your new baby will quickly rearrange your priorities. Time once spent curling up with a good book, working out, or just catching up on your favorite show is now a precious opportunity for sleep. So many of your needs end up on hold as you care for your little one.
Though parenthood can be the source of joy unlike any other, it can also be a very challenging time for moms and dads alike. The San Francisco newborn care experts at GetzWell Pediatrics are here to help you navigate this taxing but exciting stage in your child’s life.
Work smarter, not harder
Trying to keep up with the demands of your newborn through sheer force of will and determination can only work for so long. Eventually fatigue sets in and you realize there must be a better way. Here are some tips to help you work smarter, not harder, as you care for your newborn:
- Don’t Be Afraid of Making Noise: your natural instinct once baby is asleep is to be as silent as possible, but this will only cause you grief in the long run. Having baby to get used to common household noise like vacuuming, cooking and dish washing will allow you to continue going about normal life tasks without tip-toeing.
- Cook smart: making large “one-pot” meals like stews, soups and casseroles ensures several healthy meals which are easily warmed up for several days. Also asking friends and neighbors for help with food in the early days of your baby’s life.
- Be Prepared: this may seem obvious, but simple things like having accessible everything you need for the next feeding (water, nursing pillow, magazine, phone, ear-buds, snack, etc.) can make all the difference in the world.
- Keep Baby Awake While Feeding: you aren’t the only one who’s tired. A half-awake baby can make feedings last even longer, so help baby by undressing, changing and stimulating her to keep her engaged and eating until full. A full belly will allow baby to sleep longer before needing to eat again, and that will make both of you happy.
- Baby-Daddy Bonding: resist the temptation to try to do everything on your own. Help your newborn bond with daddy by allowing them to spend time alone. It may not be easy at first, but it will boost dad’s confidence and encourage your baby to become comfortable with someone other than you.
- Crib Layering: unfortunately, diaper leeks and spit-ups are an inevitable part of newborn care. Make them easier on yourself by putting several layers of sheets over the crib mattress. When there’s a mess, you can simply peel back a layer instead of rummaging through cupboards for clean bedding, especially helpful in the middle of the night.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help
No matter how smart you work or how experienced you are, admitting when you need help is crucial. GetzWell Pediatrics offers 24/7 access to physicians and even newborn house calls to assist you as you become accustomed to life with your new baby. If you need us, help is only a phone call away.
Have questions about caring for your new baby? Your San Francisco newborn care experts at GetzWell Pediatrics are here to help. Church St / Union St: (415) 826-1701.